Back to back Babies?

So, I feel like it is a new trend (or maybe it has always been this way, I have just never paid attention) to have your babies and kids very close together. I guess the reasoning behind it is so that the kids will have siblings close to their own age to play with, and you, as a parent, can sort of go through every stage of childhood at the same time. If you have say 3 kids in 5 years, then that stage of life can be completed and you can live your life geared towards your kids' age group instead of constantly having a baby around. I guess I get it, but I'm not sure I could handle it. I think the mothers that can handle that are so self less! I applaud you! I think I would like to not go any longer than 5 years between kids, as I would not like having kids that barely grow up together, but I feel like I need some room to breathe..

I guess I have been giving it thought, because people don't seem to be shy about asking me when I am going to have another baby, even thought Max is only 6 months old. I  am not really sure how to respond to this question, but all Jeff and I have agreed to say is we'll talk about it after Max is 2. We also know we for sure don't want another baby here in England. It has just been too hard with family so far away. I suppose the memory of having a new born is still so fresh in my mind, that I literally cannot imagine doing that all over again. I thought I would write a blog about it, just in case anyone was wondering about if we plan to have more kids. I have never thought I would have an only child. Coming from a big family, with tons of people to play with, I can't imagine growing up solo, and having to hang out with my parents all the time. For that reason alone, I want Max to have a sibling. I'm sure I will have another child eventually, but I am in no hurry at all...Plus I was not one of those people who enjoyed being pregnant, so I'm ok, giving my body a few years break from that:)

Maybe I would think about it differently, if we lived nearer to family or even in the same country, but it is just very hard out here. I am loving Max being a baby and it so cool seeing all the things he is learning to do, but it is definitely a sacrifice having a child. Also, having a second baby brings out the question that I'm sure all parents of multiple children ask themselves. How do I not choose favourites? How can I love the next one the same as the first? These are questions that I cannot answer and frankly, I really don't know how I could love another baby as much as Max. I suppose its just one of those things that parents figure out once they have another one:)
I suppose it's possible that once Max gets a bit bigger and starts growing out of his "baby" stage that I will come down with the feared "baby fever". And I probably will miss the fun and cute baby things he had done, but I will also remember the hard parts too. I am enjoying the baby moments now, because they do go by quickly, and I wish I hadn't been so stressed in the first 4 months of Max's life to enjoy that more. But I have to say, that so far, I don't miss him being a newborn... he is getting easier and easier and I am loving that!

So, when are we going to have more kids and how many kids do we want? I have no idea is the answer. We won't have a second baby for a few years at least, and from there will see if we want more after that. :)

Comments

  1. I feel you here. I get the same question all the time-especially from family. I just tell them that only God knows when the next one will come along!

    I nominated you for a Liebster award-check out my latest blog post to read about it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My so called schedule

Simply Whelmed...