Mommy Manners?

     So now that Max is getting older, he interacts with  other kids and parents a lot more often. When observing other mothers and kids, I can't help but wonder about the unspoken "rules" of what is appropriate for kids and moms in a public place. I sometimes let Max do something and then wonder, "Hum, I wonder if that was ok?" I am not talking about hanging out with your close friends and their kids at your house; but public places where a bunch of kids are playing. I often feel like I am breaking some sort of "mom rule" when I do or don't do something. So my question is, is there a secret set of Mom Etiquette rules that every mother should be aware of? If so, can I get a copy please:)

Here are a few examples of situations that have risen that have left me wondering what I should have done.

(Keep in mind that Max is only 15 months old, so a young toddler at best :)

1. Playground rules:  Kids are playing at a small neighborhood playground and a few kids are eating Oreos, Max goes up to them starts trying to grab the Oreos, the mom offers to give him one if its ok with me and I say "Ya thanks" (granted I had met this person before, but we aren't friends exactly) The mom then gives him one, but gives me a weird look like I shouldn't have let him have one when she offered. Then I start thinking, "Hum....should I not have? Is that a rule that I wasn't supposed to except that?"

2. Diaper Changing rules: I could care less if a mom changes her kids diaper at my house or in the living room floor, unless it's poopy which is another story, but is it only appropriate to change diapers in designated changing areas? Obviously, I wouldn't change the diaper in a place where people eat, but is it ok to change a diaper of you are out at park or something? I do realize that I can't have an objective perspective on this since I really don't care about where other people change their kids diapers, but I know that some people don't have kids and find things much more inappropriate that I do, I don't wish to offend anyone. So what is the unspoken rule of where you can change a diaper?

3. Disciplining strangers kids: So, in this scenario Max was playing at a indoor play place and in the toddler area. Some bigger kids came in (around 7-8 years old) and started playing really rough in there and knocking Max down. I asked them to please stop and asked if they could go play in the big kid area, since they were bigger. They left, but kept coming back. We eventually just left, but I couldn't help but wonder if I should have tried to find their mom. I really don't want to be an annoying parent and tattle-tale on kids lol, but I think I would want to know if my older kid was being mean to little kids. So, again, what is the right thing to do?

These are just a few of the times when I have questioned my Mommy Manner ability:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My so called schedule

Simply Whelmed...